Klasikhz & Dr. Srimix and Panjabi MC

Happy New Year to all! I wanted to start the New Year by returning to this blog, one that I love so much but needed to step away from for a little while. For those of you who may be new readers and listeners, I took a hiatus from November till the end of the year. There were many things that I needed to take a look at, a lot of things I needed to work through and sort out for myself. But I couldn’t forget this platform, a place where I could safely share music and talk about what it all felt like. When I took my hiatus, I really started to understand how much pride I have in this blog, and how much I love being able to write about music. But, writing every night started to become too much. It sometimes felt as though the music was becoming an assignment, and not something I did because I loved it. So, I am so happy to be back here, posting maybe once or twice a week, but still talking about the thing I love- Music. And that being said, I am so ready to start discussing some incredibly fresh and exciting music.

Towards the end of 2018, I found myself diving into Indian music again. But this time, it was in a different direction than normal. I started diving deeply into the world bhangra. Bhangra is a folk style of music from North India and is generally known for being vibrant and bright, full of energy and excitement. Bhangra music is the kind that automatically gets you on your feet, dancing and grooving the entire time. The music is composed of Indian melodies and features thumping and heavy drum beats and high impact energy. Bhangra has a fast tempo and is almost always accompanied by a dhol, the drum and heartbeat of the genre. This is also the genre of Indian music which has been easily remixed with modern hip-hop and has become a global sensation. With that, today’s song is a mix by the Houston DJ, Klasikhz, and blog alumni, Dr. Srimix. This song is a fantastic blend of folk and modern, bringing together the traditional sounds of bhangra with the hype of modern hip-hop.

There is a lot happening in this track! The two DJs combine the Punjabi and English lyrics in a way which makes the words seem to play off one another. The track also features Punjabi artists from across the world, not just from India but also from England and the US. The song starts off with an intensified bhangra melody, giving way to an incredibly iconic melody. The two are woven so well together and each sound takes a turn being the supportive bass line and melody, as well as the top line and main melody. The track also features the traditional Indian violin which creates an additional flair of cultural combinations. There is also a hype intensity with this song, something which is found in both hip-hop and bhangra music. Klasikhz and Dr. Srimix effectively captured the style and vibe of both genres, while still creating something completely different. Tracks like this are always exciting for me to share because the sounds can be understood by such a vast audience. Those who are versed in Indian music can easily pick out the bhangra influences and hip-hop connoisseurs can identify the elements of their genre. Those of us who have been a part of both genres are able to experience something completely new, and yet connect completely with the track. And it’s a bonus that there is a pretty incredible video to go with it, one that also blends bhangra and hip-hop in its choreography.

Today’s instrumental song is had to follow in suit, keeping up with high energy and interesting rhythms. This song became popular through a lot of dance videos, and I am such a fan! This song brings together the base beat of hip-hop, with the melodic structures of bhangra. What I love about this song is that we get the folksy sound from the bhangra melody, but we also get an old-school hip-hop sound. There are elements of this track which remind me of 80s and 90s style hip hop, and that is such a great distinction to make. I hope you enjoy the music, and friends, it is good to be back!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ima Robot and Tame Impala

Zack Knight and Keys 'n Krates

Röyksopp & Robyn and Transformers Age of Extinction